Your Rights As A Customer During Removals

Consumer rights are a topic of concern in many industries, especially those businesses having a direct link between the customer and the moving business.

Australia’s national consumer legislation, the Australian Consumer Law, replaces existing consumer protection regulations in the Commonwealth, state and territories. At the Commonwealth level and in – state and territories, the ACL applies.

You are protected (for services up to 1 October) by the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 if you have ordered a removal company to move your belongings from one location to another. You are protected by the Consumer Rights Act 2015 from 1 October 2015 onwards.

You should expect to receive treatment with the appropriate ability and care carried out. At a planned deadline, that means no harm and delivery. If this is not the case, then you have reason to complain.

You have the right to repair/replace or the amount of money paying for the cost of replacement if any items are damaged. You are also liable to any out-of-pocket costs you can incur due to item loss or delay in removal times.


Has your insurance verified? When transferring from one location to another, verify if you are protected by the insurance in your old place or the new one and by which company. This can give you extra cover, particularly for something you can move. To cover any breakages, the company should have its insurance.

Identifying the correct insurance

It can be unsafe not to take out insurance. Prefer insurance that fit your requirements, such as travel, material, accidental, repair or indemnity insurance, if you’re transferring and wishing for that added convenience.

In the event of an accident, most removalists only have cover for their cars. For potential harm or loss of your products, you would need your insurance.

Transit insurance provides insurance for the harm or loss of your goods in transit and during the packing and loading and unloading of your items that the removalist may sustain. You should take out transit insurance on stuff that you transport within Australia or move overseas.

Accidental insurance protects you for accidental harm to your products, such as when you move cartons to unpack the house.


If you do have insurance for your home and contents, transit and accidental insurance could be covered. If not, you can easily have these attached to your insurance policy for existing information.

If some are in the old house and others are in the new residence after you start moving for a limited time, your current insurance will still encompass your belongings.

You should also consider getting out home insurance to protect yourself from incidents such as fires and water damage if you are putting your things into storage for any amount of time.

Additionally, you should:


  • To evaluate quotes for the same kind of cover, browse around
  • Get a copy of the document and review the conditions and terms (do this before you move)
  • Verify if all loss and harm are protected by your policy
  • Ensure that it covers the replacement cost of your possessions
  • If there is a surplus, find out.

When problems occur, what do you do?


Keep a note of it all. If you find harm as you pass, mention it to the employees and keep a record. Having followed the tips here, put your concern in writing. Summarize all the loss and out of pocket costs and whether you want to fix the situation.

Offer an answer time frame. If you are not happy with the answer, as detailed above, you may go to the ombudsman. You will also apply to the Court of Small Claims (even after using the ombudsman.)

Back to top